[time-nuts] Recommendations for a newbie?

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Sun Sep 9 13:30:48 UTC 2012

Hi Bob,

On 09/09/2012 02:49 PM, Bob Camp wrote:
> Hi
>
> Ok, you have the fast port working. I assume with some sort of GPIB adapter. Is this correct?

No. Flip a DIP-switch and it's there. There is a few connectors on the
motherboard and that hooks up to the connector panel. I've checked and
I've got the driving chips on my various boards.

> If so is this just a matter of taking the code you already have and folding it into one of the existing programs? That would make the 5371's and 5372's a *lot* more useful.

It is indeed the hint I am giving. If you use the fast-port with a
suitable back-end, you can do a lot of stuff that you would otherwise
not expect from that machine.

You can do three-clock comparisons in continuous mode if you like.

> There obviously are going to be some hardware dependent data rate issues at high speeds. For the kind of stuff Bert and his buddy are trying to do ( 1 pps), that's unlikely to be a big deal.

You can control that very easily with the trigger rate. The time-tagging
rate is actually rather high on these beasts, but memory storage is what
reduces it's speed and depth.

Cheers,
Magnus