[time-nuts] Be aware of test equipment seller orzel-enterprises on eBay

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Tue Sep 11 05:44:07 UTC 2012

On Mon, Sep 10, 2012 at 3:46 PM, David Kirkby <david.kirkby at onetel.net>wrote:

> Not that I expect UPS would pay out on this anyway, but the seller
> undervalued the goods to $1000, which no doubt reduced the shipping
> charge, but means it would be impossible to make a claim.

If a seller undervalues an item it is him who is "out" because shipping
insurance only pays the shipper, never the buyer.  So if the package were
lost he would have to refund to you what you paid him but he could only
claim $1,000 from UPS.

It gets worse, before UPS will pay for damages they will need to see the
package and they will refuse to pay the insurance if packing is not up to
their requirements.  UPS requires two inches of padding on all six sides.
 They also require that items are packed so they will not shift in transit
and that you use a box that is rated for the weight inside (boxes all have
weight rating stamps on them)   So in this case UPS would not pay even the
$1,000 claim.

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California