[time-nuts] OT: Packing and shipping of test equipment

Charles P. Steinmetz charles_steinmetz at lavabit.com
Wed Sep 12 07:22:15 UTC 2012

Jim wrote:

>As you can imagine, it turns out that foam can be too stiff or too
>soft, and that the appropriate foam density and thickness is
>dependent on both the mass of the thing being supported and the
>expected loading.

You also need to pay attantion to what parts of the item can bear how
much loading, and from which directions -- knobs, connectors, and
many handles can't bear much, for example -- and design the packaging
to route loads around these features to other parts of the item that
can bear them.  That's what all the carefully folded cardboard and
die-cut foam in engineered pakaging do.

>Take home message:  packaging is non trivial. A simple: "pack it in
>two boxes with X inches of crumpled paper or peanuts" isn't going to work.

There is no substitute for a basic understanding of the physics
involved and the properties of available packing materials.  The
mistake I see most often is that the contents of a box are not
immobilized by the packing.  When the box is in motion and then
stopped abruptly, the item has a running start to smash into the
inside of the box and whatever stopped it.  Sometimes there is enough
packing material to fill the space in the box but it just isn't stiff
enough (e.g., light open-cell foam), and sometimes there isn't enough
packing material so there is air space inside the box.  Frequently,
both.  The buffer material for a 50 to 100 pound item needs to be
considerably stiffer than most people think.

That said, it's not rocket science.  Large-bubble bubble wrap,
wrapped TIGHTLY around the item in at least two directions until
there is at least 4" on all sides of the item, is a very good start
for anything up to about 100 pounds (6" on all sides is better by the
time you get to 100 pounds).  You may need to use sheets of styrofoam
insulation, heavy cardboard, or plywood to make sure loads will not
bear on fragile parts of the item.  The bubble wrap must be taped up
very tightly so the wrapped item feels like a monolith bursting at
the seams, then put into a box rated for the weight of the item.

All internal space in the box must be filled with packing -- the
bubble wrap, applied as described, will make a rounded shape, so
peanuts or something else must be used to fill the gaps to the square
corners of the box (I hate peanuts, so I generally use rolls of
bubble wrap, pieces of styrofoam building insulation, etc.).

Finally, the entire contents should modestly overfill the box -- you
should have to compress the packing to get the box shut.  When you
do, USE TAPE FREELY.  Do not depend on tape-to-box adhesion -- wrap
wide (at least 2"), strong tape all the way around the box
(fiberglass filament tape is excellent), lapping the tape over itself
the entire length of the longest side to form a tape band all the way
around the box.  Wrap tape all three ways around the box (all three
axes).  For smaller boxes, you can wrap once per axis, in the middle
of the box.  For larger boxes, you need to use two or even three of
these loops per axis, spaced out along the box.

You can also build up most of the buffer with styrofoam building
insulation, if you prefer.  I still like to use an inch or two (all
sides) of tightly-wrapped bubble wrap as the innermost layer.

All of this is not exactly free, and takes a bit of time -- I often
use a whole roll of bubble wrap, sometimes more, and half a roll or
more of tape, for a benchtop instrument or a boatanchor radio.  Plus
a good, sturdy box.  But I have never once had an item damaged in
shipping, since long before there was an eBay.

Best regards,

Charles