[time-nuts] GPSDO control loops and correcting quantizationerror

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Sat Sep 15 19:12:15 UTC 2012

In message <437C6604-20A5-4E05-BE99-9E26B01D80B7 at rtty.us>, Bob Camp writes:

>If indeed 32 bits matters, then instability at the 32 bit level will show up.
>[...]
>No free lunch

Absolutely agree there.

My point was merely that the requirements for the DAC after a
software-PLL are very narrow and specific, compared the the quality
metrics of DAC's in general, and that low cost methods are available
to meet those needs, so there is no need to spend a fortune on a
general X bit DAC, if cheaper special purpose one will do.

One of the advantages of the charge-transfer DAC concept is that
there is only thermal noise for a stable output, there is no reference
voltage which can suffer from tempco or noise bleed-through.

You'll have the tempco of your integration capacitor to deal with,
but already around 16-20 bits you will be ovenizing everything anyway.

The noise on EFC voltage changes can be given an almost arbitrary high
frequency spectrum which will filter out long before it reaches the
EFC input of the OCXO or Rb.

In steady state, my experiment fired a single 40nsec pulse every
some seconds, and I never managed to detect these pulses on the
output of the voltage follower, because the integration capacitor
is a glorified low-pass filter.

Even at high update rates, it would be possible to use a PRNG to
spread out the spectrum of the update noise.