[time-nuts] Z3801 Replacement GPS Receiver Card

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Sun Sep 16 01:09:03 UTC 2012

On Sat, Sep 15, 2012 at 11:11 AM, paul swed <paulswedb at gmail.com> wrote:
> I also have a z3801 so perhaps I will face the same issue at some point.
> The question I have is the following.
> If a uproc is inserted between the rcvr and the chassis to intercept the
> init command.
> Then respond back with whatever the response might be and then simply pass
> through in both direction whatever comes next.

The could be a pretty huge upgrade.  Enough maybe to just replacing
working GPS cards.  The newer Oncores have 10X or more better
performance.  You uP would have to introduce a small delay but not
much if it is just passthrough data.  The latest GPSes run on 3 volts
rather than 5.  It might be worth building a DC/DC converter on the
same card as your uP because the new 3V GPS are that much better.

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California