[time-nuts] 100 watt & higher LED power supply...

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Tue Sep 18 15:44:53 UTC 2012

On Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 5:56 AM, Michael Baker <mpb45 at clanbaker.org> wrote:
> Time-Nutters--
>
> OK-- So flicker would be objectionable running off a
> rectified 110VAC line.    My thinking was to find
> a way around needing a current limiter that would
> waste energy as heat.

Even if flicker were not a problem what happens if the AC line voltage
goes up?  How to prevent over driving the LEDS.  Or a voltage spike on
the AC mains.  I think you ned some kind of line regulation.     Andin
a 100W system you will have heat.  The LED's current draw depends on
temperature so you'd need some load regulation too.

Or another way around the need for regulation is to run the LEDS at
reduced power so there is a large safety margin for heat and line
voltage variation.   But then you need more LEDs for the same amount
of light.   A constant current DC power supply is not that hard nor
expensive but if LEDs are cheap enough just get 2X more of then and
run them at 1/2 rated current.
Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California