[time-nuts] HP-106 and Sulzer Quartz Crystals

Bob Camp lists at rtty.us
Wed Sep 19 11:35:59 UTC 2012

HI

Early on Sulzer worked for James Knights, later CTS. I suspect he got at least some of his crystals from there. Rumor has it that he bought  large batches of crystals and monitored them for months / years before using the best of the batch. That's a fine way to make a small number of OCXO's. Not so great for grabbing a replacement part.

HP made their own crystals for quite a while. They also bought parts from just about everybody in the business for various applications. My *guess* would be that the 106 has an HP made crystal in it.

Bob