[time-nuts] WWVB Now a Monopoly

Dale J. Robertson dale at nap-us.com
Thu Sep 27 03:51:27 UTC 2012

The most likely scenario is that XW has a patent pending on technology which
permits the manufacture of a very cheap dependable time-code receiver for
the mass market. Think along the lines of receiver subsystems below $5
(maybe below $1). If there were a market for WWVB timing receivers you would
think somebody would have been making them in the last few decades. There is
nothing keeping anyone from making a receiver using the published signal
characteristics. Because the signal is at a very low frequency and of very
low complexity, It is possible to craft a receiver "the hard way" using well
known (no IP) techniques at what to a hobbyist or time-nut is a very low
cost. Unless you plan to make a wristwatch wall or alarm clock I don't think
you have much to concern yourself with.
Just my $0.02
Dale NV8U