[time-nuts] Lady Heather on a Laptop

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Thu Sep 27 22:57:03 UTC 2012

On 9/27/12 3:10 PM, Charles P. Steinmetz wrote:
> Chris wrote:
>

> In another post you mentioned $0.21/kWH (you must be in California?), so
> adjust all of these by a factor of 2.625 for your location -- but I
> think the service rates in most of the US are closer to ours than to
> yours).

A lot of areas have tiered rates. The "base" tier might be <$0.10/kWh,
and the average might be in the $0.10-0.15 range (most of the US is in
that range).

However, in this application, you should be looking at the marginal
rate.. what does the "next" kWh cost, and in a tiered environment that
can be pretty pricey (0.34/kWh for me in Southern California, last
month, because it was hot).

Throw in time of use metering and it gets more complex. (and worth it to
charge a battery at night and disconnect from the line during the day).