[time-nuts] WWVB Format Ownership

Orin Eman orin.eman at gmail.com
Fri Sep 28 02:34:14 UTC 2012

On Thu, Sep 27, 2012 at 7:15 PM, Peter Gottlieb <nerd at verizon.net> wrote:

> Not quite sure about the analog to health care, but certainly a
> transmission being public domain doesn't mean much if the only possible way
> to use it is proprietary.  Sounds like something Microsoft would strive for.

I think Apple and the iPhone would be a better example... they are already
there.  Yes, Microsoft are trying to jump on that bandwagon with the
used-to-be-named-Metro interface on Windows 8, but IMO, are shooting
themselves in the foot*.

Back to the patents.  The more ideas we get here, the less defensible the
patents will be if they use an idea suggested here (not only this present
thread; there were previous threads back in March) - after all, we have
many engineers experienced in the field on the list...

Orin.

*too OT to go into here.