[time-nuts] Up And Running

Gregory Muir engineering at mt.net
Fri Sep 28 17:33:50 UTC 2012

George,

Don't need much of a hole.  I wouldn't go past a single 1/16" one or so.  That would be small enough to keep most critters out of the container.

>From what I can observe, that gasket is recessed down below the inner surface of the cover with the container inverted as it is.  Any moisture that would collect would first run down into this recess before it would reach the surface of the cover and have a chance to drain.  This could result in collection of the moisture resulting in winter time freezing and possible cracking of the container.  If you are to drill a weep hole, it might be better to try to do it in the lid from up underneath right above the gasket (providing the lid outer {now downwards] surface is recessed).  Coming up from below would help keep anything from getting driven inside from high winds carrying wetness.  That might take some doing if you are hanging off the tower trying to drill a tiny hole and not allow it to go entirely through both the lid and the container.

Don't mean to spoil your day!!  I have encountered too many moisture problems with supposedly well-designed commercial products designed to be mounted in the great outdoors.  Although, I have seen some good designs as well incorporating such approaches as pressure relief valves and expansion membranes incorporating desiccant inside the enclosure, etc.  But we're not building military hardware here.

Also, Bill Hawkins had a good comment regarding heat buildup inside the container.  Something to keep in the back of your mind.

Greg