[time-nuts] Time shown as two horizontal bars

Don Latham djl at montana.com
Tue Apr 2 04:42:42 EDT 2013

So all you need is one spinning mirror and two laser pointers side by
each? one track for hours and one for minutes.
Don

Chris Albertson
> I still like my laser pointer design.  I've been thinking about it and
> the parts count is lower than I first thought.   Here is how it works
>
> Aim a laser pointer as a spinning hexagonal scanner mirror.  These
> look like the head of a large size bolt, but with mirrored sides.  The
> moter turns the mirror and there is a contact switch that closes once
> per face or six times per revolution.
>
> The contact swich interrupts an Arduino.  Then inside the interrupt
> the software toggle sthe power to the laser.  The delays between the
> interrupt and toggle depend on the time of day.   So all you need is
> the spinning scanner assembly, a laser pointer a transistor to drive
> it and one Arduino.
>
> The size of the display can be adjusted by changing the delay between
> the toggles and it can be a front or rear projection system.
>
> Unlike the fixed LEDS my projecter can have moving dots.  Maybe they
> can look lie a metronome and count off seconds.  Or the dot can
> "crawl" across the screen.    Or you could"spell" the numbers on mose
> code with dots and dashes.  Or you make it change the presentation
> every day and confuse people
>

> On Mon, Apr 1, 2013 at 3:38 PM, WB6BNQ <wb6bnq at cox.net> wrote:
>> Hi Bill,
>>
>> Interesting idea.  One of the problems you are going to have with
>> normal
>> available displays is being able to distinguishing the individual
>> "elements" as
>> you get further away from the clock.  So it sounds like you may have
>> to construct
>> your own display area so that the "elements" are further apart.
>>
>> Doing so would allow for some embellishments, such as using a
>> different colors
>> for the 10 and 30 minute LEDs.  Equally so, you could use 24 LEDs for
>> hour marks
>> using two different colors for day and night.
>>
>> Likewise, you could reduce the number of LEDs by using 9 for the
>> minutes in one
>> row.  A second row would have 5 for the 10 minute marks.  The third
>> row would be
>> the hours with just the 12 LEDs but by using dual color LEDs you could
>> cover day
>> and night.
>>
>> Just thought I would complicate your project........
>>
>> Bill....WB6BNQ
>>

>> Bill Hawkins wrote:
>>
>>> Looking for a long, thin horizontal clock display for use above or
>>> below
>>> a flat screen TV.
>>>
>>> Tried searching for "bar clock" and got a lot of useless hits.
>>>
>>> What I'd like is a display that is about half an inch (12 mm) high by
>>> 12-18 inches long (30-50 cm) that is just two rows of 60 or 120 leds.
>>> One row is labeled 0 to 59 (or 60) and the other is labeled 0 to 12.
>>> The
>>> display does not stay at 12 or 60 but jumps back to zero. Power line
> [...]

"Neither the voice of authority nor the weight of reason and argument
are as significant as experiment, for thence comes quiet to the mind."
De Erroribus Medicorum, R. Bacon, 13th century.
"If you don't know what it is, don't poke it."
Ghost in the Shell

Dr. Don Latham AJ7LL
Six Mile Systems LLP
17850 Six Mile Road