[time-nuts] FE-5680 frequency jump

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Sat Apr 6 11:38:42 EDT 2013

On 04/06/2013 04:23 PM, Jim Lux wrote:
> On 4/6/13 6:55 AM, Bob Camp wrote:
>>
>> Hi

>>> $100 Presto 23 qt canning style pressure cooker, electric heating
>>> elements, thermocouple probes, some fiberglass insulation to reduce
>>> conductive losses.
>>>
>>> Do it in your backyard and have a straw broom handy to detect
>>> hydrogen fires.
>>>
>>> Be careful.. 400C is getting close to 660C aluminum melting point.
>>> I'm also not sure the gasket in the pressure cooker can take that
>>> temperature.. you might want to replace it with something else.
>>>
>>> Here's the reaction vessel:
>>> http://www.target.com/p/presto-23-quart-aluminum-pressure-cooker-canner/-/A-660065#prodSlot=medium_1_5
>>>

>>> Now, if it's the 1000C+ that Magnus mentioned, that's a bit
>>> trickier.. Probably need a ceramic container.
>>
>> Gee, another use for the Big Green Egg…. I wonder how BBQ grease
>> impacts the annealing process :)
>
> I suggest heading on down to the garden store for some clay pots..
>

>> I don't think I would want 1000+ C hydrogen running around in a lash
>> up system. There are just to many ways for things to go wrong.
>>

> John Strong's book has a picture of how to do it.. Shows small flames
> (invisible, of course) coming from the lid of the ceramic crucible
> wrapped in resistance wire and immersed in some sort of refractory sand.
>
> I've seen hydrogen brazing being done at a TWT manufacturing plant, and
> it's pretty low tech. One could definitely do it in your backyard, maybe
> even your apartment balcony. I don't know that I'd be generating the
> hydrogen by using aluminum foil in pool acid, but that's more out of
> laziness than anything else: getting a tank from the local gas supplier
> is pretty easy. The pressure of the H2 is basically slightly over
> atmospheric. Heated to 1000C, it's going to ignite where it leaks out,
> which is good, so you don't have a problem with hydrogen accumulation
> (and even that isn't an issue in the backyard) Since the flames are
> invisible, that's why you need that broom. (or the fancy IR viewing
> goggles, I suppose)

Back in the 80thies I skipped school to go to the university and play in
their lab I made high-temperature semiconductors. We had to do
essentially the same thing, but our target temperature was 950 degrees
and it was oxygene environment. The over was essentially a ceramic tube
with heating wires... just a large power resistor. Very low-tech. It's
really the hydrogen environment which makes it a bit tricky, but having
a continuous flow of hydrogen and just some minor blocking, and a pilot
flame to burn of the leaking hydrogen if it has not been burned of
should suffice. I think the main issue will be sourcing the right oven
components, but just setting once's mine correctly they should be
attainable. The power-bill is the issue.

Cheers,
Magnus