[time-nuts] GPS antenna??

Bill Hawkins bill at iaxs.net
Mon Apr 8 22:10:57 EDT 2013

Ever hear the riddle about the guy driving a black car with the headlights
off? The streetlights are all off, too. A black dog runs in front of the
car, but the driver avoids hitting it. How did he do that?

The answer is that the environment was broad daylight. Of course the lights
were off. As a riddle, the story tried to convince you that the darkness was
total, but it didn't say that.

I have the same feeling from Alan Melia's question - that there is something
that I don't know about because it wasn't included in the query.

Of course GPS works through windows. At least it has in every airport gate
area that I've been in. And it works through the double aircraft windows,
though they are plastic. So that can't be the question.

Then we have an antenna outside the window that needs a power supply, but it
is the indoor antenna that will be active. You wouldn't need a building
window to measure the attenuation through glass. You could set that up in
the lab. So it isn't just transmission that is the problem.

Responders give good counsel about using a south facing window for good
satellite reception, but what has that got to do with it?

Alan, can you tell me what I'm missing? What are you trying to learn from
this experiment?

Kind regards,

Bill Hawkins