[time-nuts] Z3805A high value PU

Charles P. Steinmetz charles_steinmetz at lavabit.com
Tue Apr 16 22:04:51 EDT 2013

Mark wrote:

>I recently purchased a pair of Z3805A
>
>The problem I am seeing on both is the predicted uncertainty is high
>compared to other receivers I have seen.
>
>I am experiencing a PU of ~8us for the first and ~24us for the second.
>
>My questions are,
>What could be causing such bad figures?
>Is it an oven problem?
>Can I tweak it out?

The predicted uncertainty is calculated from the character of the
OCXO drift over some period in the past.  If you just hooked these up
after they were off for who knows how long and were then shipped, the
OCXO will not even have begun to settle in.  I never really begin to
think seriously about how stable an OCXO might be until it has been
running continuously and undisturbed for several months.

There is every reason to think your units will settle in after being
run continuously and undisturbed, but there is always the chance that
they won't.  IMO, you won't be in a position to judge for several
weeks, at the very least, more likely several months.

Best regards,

Charles