[time-nuts] antennas was Re: Common-View GPS Network

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Wed Apr 17 15:18:00 EDT 2013

Another way to ask this question is "what is the effect of a small
deviation form the ideal dimensions?"

If we assume deviations of about 1/20th of a wavelength are OK then we can
allow about 1cm of dimensional error.  Almost anyone using simple hand
tools can do better.

With care using primitive "garage" equipment we can do much better.  The
old-school hand method for precision sheet metal work was to make a
hardwood form and then bend and cut the metal around the wood form.

I think if a cake pan would work is a matter of luck.  You'd just have to
find one within about 2cm of the correct diameter.  If not then you be
better off starting with flat sheet and hand shears.

--

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California