[time-nuts] Working on new NanoBSD w/NTPns for Net4501image...

Jason Rabel jason at extremeoverclocking.com
Fri Apr 19 09:50:23 EDT 2013

The other day I got sidetracked and managed to build another Soekris Net4501 with an Oncore UT+ I had laying around. My old CF
images from ~2008 have always served me well, but the problem being they require a 256MB or greater CF card. Seeing as how I had a
stack of old 64MB & 128MB cards lying around I really wanted to be able to utilize them, especially since the used space is only
around 45MB.

Figured I would start with FreeBSD 9 since it's the latest and greatest... That was a horrific build failure.

Then I went with FreeBSD 8 since it's still current... After a lot of tweaking I finally got an image to compile, but had issues
with networking, serial ports, and other hacks that I really just didn't want to deal with.

So then I went with FreeBSD 7... huzzah! Compiled cleanly with very little effort and currently testing. I have a little tweaking to
do with some files, but nothing major. Image fits like a charm on a 64MB CF too.

Now that I have a working build environment, my next goal is to add a small http server and have it serve some basic stats at first.
Then over time hopefully start recording & storing data and add some graphs and such.

Right now the image is tailored towards running NTPns, but it also has regular old NTPD on it too. I figured before I finalize
everything and post a download link I would ask if anyone has some package requests to be added in. I have ~11MB of free space for
extras.

Please contact me off-list for requests.

Jason