[time-nuts] AD5791 for EFC control ?

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Sat Apr 20 16:14:06 EDT 2013

I looked at the DAC1220 first, but in an EFC application it worries
me to no end that it is a Sigma-Delta DAC.

Even if I feed it a clock divided down from the OCXO you're EFC'ing,
to avoid beatfrequency effects, I would still worry about harmonic
effects and noise.

Also, the noise-spec is pretty horrid, almost a microvolt/sqrt(Hz)
all the way to one kHz.

For comparison the AD5791 is purely static and its noise is below
10 nv/sqrt(Hz) from 5Hz and up.