[time-nuts] ngTADD-1

WB6BNQ wb6bnq at cox.net
Tue Apr 23 04:24:07 EDT 2013

Hi Kevin,

You could try TOSLINK fiber cable.  Yes, it is not the best as far as fiber cable goes, but it seems to be a viable method.  I got the idea from a Ham in, I believe, Colorado who was using it to
isolate his 10 MHz for a project.  If you are interested in viewing what the other guy did, I will search for his web site.
I haven't constructed the project yet, but do have a 75 foot run of the TOSLINK cable and a TX & RX TOSLINK ends.

I had to buy the three components at three different places.  The TOSLINK receiver came from Mouse (p/n 757-TORX177F,T) and cost $1.31.  The TOSLINK transmitter came from DIGIKEY (p/n 1080-1428-ND)
and cost $0.866.  At the time, for whatever reason each supplier had the one end but not the other.  The cable came from a company called Monoprice who had the lowest price of $23.28 for the 75 feet
and $1.58  for a 1.5 foot piece.  I bought one of each of the two cables and 10 each of end pieces to experiment with.  You would need to use an inverter at the least to square the single for
transmitting and another at the receive end to buffer the receiver.  You also may need to use a PLL, like a 74HC4046A or better yet a NXP 74HCt9046A, to clean up a long run, however, that is just
speculation on my part.  The guy in Colorado was using a short 1 foot link.

As for the distribution amp, it has been about two years, or a little more, since the TADD-1 supply has run out.  The MAX amp used in the TADD-1 is no longer available but Analog Devices has an
exact replacement.  For my use, I have been working on a layout that would duplicate it but also add the TOSLINK feature so I can get the house standard over to the radio room from my (so-called)
Lab.

JUst food for thought,

Bill....WB6BNQ