[time-nuts] Generate 1 PPS signal on serial port

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Tue Aug 6 17:44:45 EDT 2013

> I want to analyze the 1 PPS signal generated by the PC and the
> synchronization process or to compare two 1 PPS signals generated by
> different computers.

OK, but that just kicks the question further down the road.  WHY would you
want to compare two PPS signals?

It is easy to do as Linux now has a PPS generator built-in.   There is
nothing to do but configure it.

Expect the PPs to have a random 2 uSec or more jitter.   It could be much
worse.   I think the PPS generation uses timer interrupts.  The timer
advances in uSec ticks and then there is some latency so expect and error
in the range of a 'handful of uSec."

--

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California