[time-nuts] SDR Radio Opinion- Next Question

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Tue Aug 6 21:44:14 EDT 2013

Funny that those "toys" that come with Linux pretty much run the entire
Internet and every Android phone and almost every TV set top box and
firewall/router.     But in the end as a developer you either follow the
market and the dollar or you do what your boss pays you to do.   What tools
are needed anyway but a few terminal windows and a text editor?

Anyways the hot market now if you are chasing the dollar and customers is
phone apps.  That is what users want and that is who the companies are
hiring.   I'd really like to see SDR move to phones and tablets.   It would
make them even more portable.   These phone now days have quad core 32-bit
CPUs and GPUs that can be tapped for compting power for thing like FFTs and
other DSP.

As for development tools, there is no shortage.

We also need some new ideas.  So muct SDR software tries to emulate a
1980's radio.

On Tue, Aug 6, 2013 at 6:27 PM, Mark C. Stephens <marks at non-stop.com.au>wrote:

> That is true, Windows is great for Mr. Joe average, because of the ease of
> use,
> and because of the ease of use and user-base size, a lot of software has
> been developed for it.
> I use windows for a most tasks including software development and just to
> be compatible to everyone else.
> As you say, a lot of software is written for winders including
> professional programming IDE's etc.
> However, if Windows gets a virus or something breaks or corrupt, 9 times
> out of 10 you are screwed and have to reinstall.
> The great thing about Linux (Unix), there is always 101 ways to do the
> same thing,
> If something breaks, you can work around it until its fixed. Heck you can
> reinstall the GUI if you feel like it :)
> Each day I am drawn back to using Unix CLI and I have to say, I learn
> something new each day.
> As OS X roots are in a mature, robust OS (BSD), it is getting a great
> reputation as a robust but easy to use operating system.
> In fact, my next door neighbour has kicked his Windows out and bought a
> MAC!
> He is 82, and learning a new computing environment was not a trivial task
> for him and his wife.
> But he says he has never looked back.
> --marki
> -----Original Message-----
> From: time-nuts-bounces at febo.com [mailto:time-nuts-bounces at febo.com] On
> Behalf Of Alberto di Bene
> Sent: Wednesday, 7 August 2013 7:04 AM
> To: time-nuts at febo.com
> Subject: Re: [time-nuts] SDR Radio Opinion- Next Question
> On 8/6/2013 5:12 AM, Chris Albertson wrote:
> > /It depends of it you want to be the kind of ham who understands
> > radios and can build and design them or the kind who would have never
> remove the cover
> > off his commercial built radio.    Linux is the best OS for developers
> and
> > those who like to build gear.   Windows is better for the "appliance
> user"
> > crowd./
> When I developed Winrad and my other SDR programs, a few years ago, I
> examined which were the tools available to a serious developer.
> My conclusion was that under Windows you could find professional tools,
> geared towards professional developments.  What was available under Linux
> were little more than toys, meant for the hobbyists and the tinkerers.  For
> example, at the time I was unable to find under Linux a development
> environment with the features and the power of the Embarcadero Rad Studio,
> which is what I use.  This made me to choose Windows as my main platform.
> 73  Alberto  I2PHD
> _______________________________________________
> time-nuts mailing list -- time-nuts at febo.com To unsubscribe, go to
> https://www.febo.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/time-nuts
> and follow the instructions there.
> _______________________________________________
> time-nuts mailing list -- time-nuts at febo.com
> To unsubscribe, go to
> https://www.febo.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/time-nuts
> and follow the instructions there.


Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California

More information about the time-nuts mailing list