[time-nuts] Lady Heather W/O a PC: Alternative

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Mon Aug 19 23:55:03 EDT 2013

The point is that this only makes it cheaper.  It is still a PC running
Windows in some other room.  I think what is wanted is a way to have the
Thunderbolt "on-line" so the status shows up wherever you like.  Also those
old PC notebooks burn more power than you think.   Not nearly as much as an
older desktop PC but I bet more than $100 per year in power. (The old
desktop might burn $300 per year)

Another problem is that people might like to also run NTP server using
their Thunderbolt and the Windows OS that LH uses is a very poor choice for
NTP, so you'd need a second computer.  Best to put both on a little ARM
powered board.

The $25 notebook only helps with cost. It doesn't change the functionality.

On Mon, Aug 19, 2013 at 8:38 PM, Perry Sandeen <sandeenpa at yahoo.com> wrote:

> List,
>
> I have no problem with someone porting LH to any
> device of their choice.
>
> But at the Huntsville, AL hamfest this last weekend
> there were a number of fully functional laptops for $29. I didn’t check
> what OS
> they were using.
>
> Sure they are about as old as dirt however they
> are great for guys like me that don’t know a thing about programming and
> have
> no interest in learning to program.  They
> would provide a cheap LH monitor and when they die, just buy another.
>
> If you wanted to go upscale there were loads of
> 14.1 inch IBM Thinkpads running various flavors of XP for $225. I’d expect
> one
> of that quality build to run for years especially if one was to cut some
> extra ventilation
> holes in the case and add a small external fan.
>
> Regards,
>
> Perrier

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California