[time-nuts] PTPv2 grandmaster with a Z3805A?

David Gravereaux davygrvy at pobox.com
Tue Aug 20 06:03:07 EDT 2013

Hi,

I've been lurking a bit and absorbing.  On order is an HP/SYMMETRICOM
Z3805A GPS Disciplined Oscillator and a PCTEL GPS-TMG-HR-26NCM antenna.

Target computer is running Linux and has a spare comport.

From what I've been reading, ntpd will work the hpgps driver, but will
require a few mods for 9600 baud instead of 19200 and the size of the
buffer needs to be increased for the :print:status command.

With ntpd communicating with the radio, I guess it's rather straight-up
to run linuxptp <http://sourceforge.net/projects/linuxptp/> as well and
all should work, right?

The NIC card is an Intel i210 and supports hardware timestamping.  My
Ethernet switch also supports 1588 as Class A traffic.

I can't seem to find a manual specific for the Z3805A.

Are the 3.58 MHz ACPI timers okay or should I use the 25MHz HPET ones
for system clock?

--
David Gravereaux <davygrvy at pobox.com>