[time-nuts] Lady Heather W/O a PC: Alternative

Perry Sandeen sandeenpa at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 20 21:27:10 EDT 2013

List,

Wrote >The point is that this only makes it
cheaper.  It is still a PC running Windows
in some other room.

Not exactly.  You missed what I was trying to say about programming: which was I can’t
do it and don’t want to learn how to do it.  It’s just not my cup of tea.

It is a cheap method for some of us to have a
dedicated LH monitor.

>I think what is wanted is a way to have the Thunderbolt
"on-line" so the status shows up wherever you like.

 That may
the goal, I don’t know.

>Also those old PC notebooks burn more power than
you think.  Not nearly as much as an older
desktop PC but I bet more than $100 per year in power. (The old desktop might
burn $300 per year)

Two points.  If we can afford to two or more HP 5370b’s and all the other devices we
use for our hobby an additional laptop won’t add much more to the electric
bill.  Using the power just comes with
the territory.  If we can’t afford it
then we need a different hobby.

>Another problem is that people might like to
also run NTP server using their Thunderbolt and the Windows OS that LH uses is
a very poor choice for NTP, so you'd need a second computer.  Best to put both on a little ARM powered
board.

That well might be the best technical solution. But
if one can’t program, we have to find alternatives.

>The $25 notebook only helps with cost. It
doesn't change the functionality.

I disagree.  It gives people with no programing skills a cheap dedicated LH
monitor.  Also many of us don’t run NPT
servers so to us it is a non-issue.  Lots
of solutions are case specific.

Regards,

Perrier