[time-nuts] Yb clock Allan deviation

Frank Stellmach frank.stellmach at freenet.de
Fri Aug 23 16:08:01 EDT 2013

Hi,

Andrew Ludlow himself was so kind to send me the Sciencexpress article,
just a few minutes ago..

A pity that I can't post it here (2.2MB).

The Allan deviation is nearly linear, following roughly a
3.2E-16/sqrt(tau) equation (calculated for a single clock).
At tau = 1 sec, the instability is about 2e-16 increasing to 3e-16 at
3sec, then approaching the given equation.
1.6e-18 is attained at 25.000sec only.

The interrogation time seems to be 1-5sec, still with many interruptions
(25% time-outs).

Further realistic improvements (more atoms, mitigation of several
parasitic effects) may yield 1e-18 in 100sec in the future.

Frank