[time-nuts] Alfred Loomis

johncroos at aol.com johncroos at aol.com
Wed Dec 11 23:51:16 EST 2013

 As it turns out Loomis did the original work proving the effect of the moon on pendelum clocks, eatrhs rotation rate and so. He arranged with Bell Labs to have their quartz frequency standard transferred by a land line he leased to his lab. The experiments took several months. The results were published as "The Precise Measurment of Time" in the Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society.

According to Luis Alvarez, Loomis was a "time nut" for the rest of his life. Later in life, again according to Alvarez he wore two Accutrons which he checked daily against WWV. (I only had one!)

The details are in the "Tuxedo Park" book . I just read all about it and the above is the briefest summary. For more buy the book; its about 10 bucks.

-73 john k6iql