[time-nuts] Future of Time splinter meeting atAmericanAstronomical Society

John C. Westmoreland, P.E. john at westmorelandengineering.com
Sat Dec 21 21:27:27 EST 2013

Hello All,

I read some of the material.  Some of it makes it sound that the proposal
is so earth-shattering and mind-bending that no mere mortal
can understand what it means.

So, are they talking about basing it off of a physical phenomena, like one
of the atomic clocks at NIST or something like that?

As Bill above mentions - the notion of day and night still mean something
to us earthlings, and even the clocks at NIST should have
some type of heavenly body to help with occasional synchronization, correct?

I didn't take it as being against leap-seconds either - but maybe I have
missed the point or one of the points.

One would think irregardless of the method chosen, the occasional
correction will be necessary.

One has to admit though - that it is interesting.  Even in Star Trek
stardates were tied to days - which still means tied to a heavenly body.
 Hmmm.

Regards,
John W.