[time-nuts] Low noise power supplies?

Fabio Eboli FabioEb at quipo.it
Fri Feb 1 14:24:46 EST 2013

Sorry, Poul-Henning Kamp, I answered directly
to your mail address, I repost it here...

Il 2013-02-01 18:09 Poul-Henning Kamp ha scritto:
> --------
> In message <2bf4f4e8c8207ae0f94a7e1a1e63cd14 at quipo.it>, Fabio Eboli
> writes:
>
>>Il 2013-01-31 06:42 Mark Sims ha scritto:
>>> A123 20Ah LiFePO4 cells have an internal resistance in the milliohm
>>> range. [...]
>
> Low internal resistance in batteries is an indicator of low noise,
> but not a guarantee of low noise.

I have no reason to disagree with your statement :)

I was agreeing with Mark about the fact that there
are "new" chemistries with low internal resistance,
and nice characteristics like low cost, availability
and low self discharge, and that some Li-ion can be
built to be one of those.

> For instance in wet lead-acid cells, turbulence in the liquid as
> the density changes can lead to low-frequency noise, which
> incidentally
> sounds a lot like a pot of stew simmering.

It would be interesting to see if there
are references about noise in the li chemistries.

Fabio.