[time-nuts] VCXO in a watch timing machine

WB6BNQ wb6bnq at cox.net
Mon Feb 4 20:43:24 EST 2013

Hi John,

First question is do you have a schematic ?

Second question: Is the 1K pot directly across the VCC to ground ?  Or is it in
the middle of a resistor string ?

Normally, the EFC pin has a nominal center point that is around 1/2 of the VCC
going to the VCXO module.  Also, the EFC pin's input resistance is fairly high,
in the order of around 50K.  So it would seem unlikely that the 1K pot is all
there is between VCC and ground.  That would imply 5 ma of current flowing
through the 1K pot, which seems a little high for the needed function.  A typical
current level would be more like 1 ma.

So, before you go crazy changing out the VCXO check to see if the 1K pot is in a
resistive string.  If that is the case, then you could adjust one of the fixed
resistors to put the pot range so that it covers above and below the 18 MHz mark.

As previously mentioned, it would pay to measure some of the circuit parameters
to make sure things seem proper.

Bill....WB6BNQ