Dan Kemppainen dan at irtelemetrics.com
Tue Feb 5 08:42:59 EST 2013

Juts an FYI. I thought fiber was lightning proof also. As it turns out
the fiber used by phone companies has copper tracers in it for
location purposes (Without metal it's hard to find where it's buried).
This in turn causes lightning strikes to cut fiber fairly often. I
wouldn't have though about it, but a friend of the family is in charge
of laying and repairing fiber for phone companies straightened me out
on fiber.

There is however, usually a lot of extra fibers. At this point in time
the cost to lay anything in the ground is much more expensive than the
cost of big bundles. Sounds like a lot of extra fiber goes in the
ground just so they don't have to lay more later...

Dan