[time-nuts] Generation of pulse train with 1/4 noise

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Fri Feb 15 09:56:53 EST 2013

On 2/15/13 6:21 AM, Bob Camp wrote:
> The timing does relate to multiple valves, so it's not quite as simple as a single rate. The time delta's for the other stuff are all pretty short, so you may or may not be planing to randomly drive them as well.
>
> It all depends on how fanatic you get about the timing ...

Not very..
The physical device being driven has one solenoid valve that fills and
drains the "heart bladder".  The radar looks at the gross surface
movement of the thorax (on the order of 1mm), and we want something that
isn't perfectly regular and that has some variability (so that the
algorithms used to detect the heartbeat don't wind up relying on heart
rate being zero bandwidth).

Rather than just implement something like

interval = 60/bpm + 0.1*rand

I figured if there was an easy way to generate something from a
"realistic" distribution, it would be nice.