[time-nuts] Future of UTC 2013

Steve Allen sla at ucolick.org
Tue Feb 19 13:09:54 EST 2013

On Mon 2013-02-18T21:48:55 -0800, DaveH hath writ:
> > Full details of the upcoming meeting are available via
> > http://futureofutc.org/

> Love the graphic on the website.
>
> The use of a Foucault Pendulum with Earth as the bob is inspired...

Credit for the graphic goes to Pete Marenfeld at NOAO, a graphic
artist with amazing talents.  If it evokes the tension that has lasted
for the past decade between the nations whose delegates have been
arguing "you must abandon leap seconds in UTC" and the nations whose
delegates have been responding "we won't abandon leap seconds in UTC"
then it has done its job.

Our hope for the meeting is to get beyond the standoff and contribute
solid technical details about what should be behind those arguments,
what is possible, what is needed to resolve the situation.

--
Steve Allen                 <sla at ucolick.org>                WGS-84 (GPS)
UCO/Lick Observatory--ISB   Natural Sciences II, Room 165    Lat  +36.99855