[time-nuts] altinex switches

Chuck Harris cfharris at erols.com
Fri Feb 22 09:40:26 EST 2013

Hi Robert,

The only way it would make sense to make the center pin diameter
smaller on a 75 ohm BNC is if the center section of the connector
has dielectric in it.  So, I would venture then that if you find a
75 ohm BNC that has dielectric in the mating area, around the pin,
it will be a problem.

The original coax illustrates this action.  Some of the earliest
commercial coax was air insulated, and had optimally sized center
and shield diameters for low loss power transmission.  Which results
in 75 ohm impedance.  It was a dodgy affair, as it had very thin
lucite disks every foot, or so, that kept the center conductor
centered in the shield.  This worked ok for rigid coax, and even
semi-rigid coax where large radius arcs, over long runs, are
possible... like on an antenna tower, or a intercontinental under
sea telephone trunk cable...

At some point, it became desirable to make short flexible runs of
coax, WWII as I recall, and the disk scheme wasn't optimal, so the
coax was entirely filled with polyethylene plastic, and because of
the dielectric constant of the polyethylene, the 75 ohm air
dielectric impedance dropped to 50 ohm.  The loss went way up, but
flexibility trumped loss in short pigtails for interconnecting cables,
and 50 ohm became popular.... RG-8 coax was born.

-Chuck Harris