[time-nuts] YIG oscillators

J. Forster jfor at quikus.com
Fri Jan 4 15:44:12 UTC 2013

Most modern books on micriowave design (and probably Wiki) have the
basics. They are based on the NMR principle (Nuclear Magnetic Resonance).
This is the same physics used in MRI.

You might also look at old issues of the HP Journal or the Watkins-Johnson
house journal. The former is easily available at HPMemory.org.

YIGs were used in most sweepers from roughly 1970 on by companies like HP,
Wiltron, Narda, and some others.

The oscillators are more common than the filters. It is more likely that
an oscillator will be bad than a filter, as there are active devices in
oscillators. They are generally useful from roughly 0.5 GHz to >20 GHz.

-John