[time-nuts] 1970's flashback

Tom Van Baak tvb at LeapSecond.com
Sun Jan 13 15:01:30 UTC 2013

Joe -- Thank much for that set of classic photos.

Volker -- For a near complete photo of all HP time & frequency gear see:
http://leapsecond.com/hpclocks/

Dave -- I'll check on that hp display clock. I have a couple like it, with Nixie tubes, but without with the ten-turn pot on the right. Interesting, that time/stepper unit does not appear in hp's own frequency standards lab:
http://leapsecond.com/history/Benchmark.htm

All -- For those of you who are interested in 70's era of flying atomic clocks do read the  original reports of the various world-wide campaigns to align (coordinate) each nation's time standard. We take this all for granted now that GPS is everywhere, but in those years it was a real chore to keep, compare, and carry time. From HP Journal:

A New Performance of the "Flying Clock" Experiment
http://www.hpl.hp.com/hpjournal/pdfs/IssuePDFs/1964-07.pdf
Correlating Time from Europe to Asia with Flying Clocks
http://www.hpl.hp.com/hpjournal/pdfs/IssuePDFs/1965-04.pdf
World-wide Time Synchronization, 1966
http://www.hpl.hp.com/hpjournal/pdfs/IssuePDFs/1966-08.pdf
'Flying Clock' Comparisons Extended to East Europe, Africa and Australia
http://www.hpl.hp.com/hpjournal/pdfs/IssuePDFs/1967-12.pdf

/tvb