[time-nuts] Least costly 10 MHz reference solution

Russ Ramirez russ.ramirez at gmail.com
Wed Jan 23 11:48:05 EST 2013

Greetings,

I have been reading what I can find on Rubidium and GPSDO approaches, but
there are some fine points that do not make it clear which is the best
'bang for the buck' solution. My requirement/desire is to have a 10 MHz
standard for my lab that I can trust to an accuracy of 7 decimal places (10
ppb?), so anything that is good to a few ppb is certainly adequate for what
I am looking for. I have a OCXO unit that is voltage adjustable - for
example, adjusting this to 10.0000000 MHz per my HP 5334A requires -12.71V.

So the simple (maybe) question is, should I go for a Rubidium disciplined
unit, or go with a home-brew GPSDO solution using the Vectron OCXO I
already have? My main cause of confusion is ignorance concerning all the
GPS solutions out there with 1pps outputs, to use in a GPSDO, and which
ones jitter too much to be useful (solutions under $50 exist).

Thanks in advance.

Russ
K0WFS