[time-nuts] Least costly 10 MHz reference solution

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Wed Jan 23 14:31:42 EST 2013

No question, You want a GPSDO.

Yes you can buy a Rb or a high-end OCXO but neither of these is
connected to any kind of standard and will need to be calibrated to be
of use.   The GPS serves as a "standard" and you need that before the
other options.

The next question is "which GPSDO?"   For most people that would be a
Thunderbolt but the prices are going up on those.  Then you will need
a good antenna installation.

On Wed, Jan 23, 2013 at 8:48 AM, Russ Ramirez <russ.ramirez at gmail.com> wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I have been reading what I can find on Rubidium and GPSDO approaches, but
> there are some fine points that do not make it clear which is the best
> 'bang for the buck' solution. My requirement/desire is to have a 10 MHz
> standard for my lab that I can trust to an accuracy of 7 decimal places (10
> ppb?), so anything that is good to a few ppb is certainly adequate for what
> I am looking for. I have a OCXO unit that is voltage adjustable - for
> example, adjusting this to 10.0000000 MHz per my HP 5334A requires -12.71V.
>
> So the simple (maybe) question is, should I go for a Rubidium disciplined
> unit, or go with a home-brew GPSDO solution using the Vectron OCXO I
> already have? My main cause of confusion is ignorance concerning all the
> GPS solutions out there with 1pps outputs, to use in a GPSDO, and which
> ones jitter too much to be useful (solutions under $50 exist).
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Russ
> K0WFS

Chris Albertson