[time-nuts] Serial port / Mouse issue (was mentioned in "Thunderbolt Monitor")

Sarah White kuzetsa at gmail.com
Thu Jan 24 23:18:27 EST 2013

On 1/24/2013 11:07 PM, Sarah White wrote:
> (quotes)
>
> NOTE:  If you boot Windows with your ThunderBolt connected to the Com
> port, Windows will think it is a serial mouse and grab the port.  It
> can lead to some interesting Windows behavior as the T-Bolt outputs
> data.
>
>> Easy fix. Add the following to your "Boot.ini" file. Obviously, the "x" stands for the COM port you are using.
>>
>> NoSerialMice:COMx
>>
> (end quotes)
>
> I'm not sure who typed the above text, the quote style was hard to
> understand... Might've been some combination of Joe Gray, John Lofgren,
> and/or someone who signs as mike?
>
> Anyway... Here's my $0.02:
>
> Windows Vista / 7 doesn't use
>
> "boot.ini"
>
> ... do this instead:
>
> Click on start --> In the search box, type in regedit
> Registry editor windows opens... Navigate to the location:
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
> --> SYSTEM
> --> CurrentControlSet
> --> Services
> --> sermouse
> In the right hand, you'll see stuff like:
>
> (default)
> DisplayName
> etc. etc. etc.
>
> There should be a "dword (32bit) value" titled:
>
> "start"
>
> Set the value of this to: 00000004
>
> If you do not see "start" use the following steps:
>
> Right click on the (white) blank space
> (below the default, displayname, etc.)
>
> After right click to get context menu, click "New"
> ... a sub-menu will expand:
> Select the option for:
> "dword 32-bit value"
>
> Now, give this value the name "start"
>
> Right click to select "modify"
>
> It should have the value: 00000004
>
> Restart the computer
>
> You're done :)
>
> The mouse will no longer freak out, and your GPS (timing mode, TSIP,
> NMEA, or otherwise) or other RS-232 device will now work normally and
> not be detected as mouse, make cursor jump strangely, etc.
>
> Hope someone finds this useful,
> Sarah

This info applies to windows XP as well:

http://goo.gl/IqmDB

Post number 6 they said:

---snip---

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\sermouse]
"Start"=dword:00000004

there should be no blank between Servic and es!!!!

---snip---

but uh... I never tested making a .reg file and "merge with registry" or
whatever. I'm pretty sure some antivirus software gets cranky when it
sees a .reg file, plus there's often a complication when people use
notepad to create a file and the file ends up something.reg.txt or ...
oh whatever, the same thing applies. winxp doesn't really use boot.ini
either for this

--Sarah

P.S. sorry to double-post like this.