[time-nuts] OT, looking for a good science forum

Bob Camp lists at rtty.us
Sat Jan 26 17:03:44 EST 2013

Hi

Yes, indeed you can buy or rent a calibrated RTD. You might be able to rent a quartz thermometer. The HP version (2804) has been history for quite a while. In both cases they come with a cute little disclaimer on the accuracy that more or less says:

"We can't be sure that this stays calibrated through the shipping process, a triple point cell must be used to verify calibration at the use temperature".

One of the reasons HP dropped the product was that people discovered that need after it had been in production for a quite a while. Hysteresis in the LC cut crystals turned out to be one of several issues that contributed to the problem.

Pretty much *everything* with a triple point down at 190K is going to have something nasty about it.

Bob