[time-nuts] Riley paper on Tight Phase Lock Loop

Robert Darby bobdarby at triad.rr.com
Wed Jan 30 13:32:24 EST 2013

Gentlemen,

I've been a lurker on this list since early in 2012.  I do not possess a
technical background but do have some interest in time measurement topics.

I was reading some of W. J. Riley's papers and saw that after the long
and contentious discussion on this list Mr Riley built and tested a
tight phase lock loop system.

I have failed to turn up any mention of his paper on this list and was
curious if anyone has read it or perhaps duplicated it?

He writes "HP 10811 ovenized  crystal oscillators are used as both the
locked oscillator and PLL reference, and the system thus measures the
combined instability of two presumed identical and uncorrelated
devices." He further notes that "These results agree well with other
measurements  for  this type of crystal oscillator."

The paper is found at:

http://www.stable32.com/Frequency%20Stability%20Measurements%20Using%20a%20Tight%20Phase%20Lock%20Loop.pdf

The construction is described in greater detail in a separate paper:

http://www.stable32.com/A%2010%20MHz%20OCVCXO%20and%20PLL%20Module.pdf

The OCVCXO and PLL Board described therein appears to be a very
versatile piece of gear for anyone using 10811's.   Riley gives an
example using the module to clean-up the output of a LPRO-101 rubidium
(page 9).

Regards,
Bob Darby