[time-nuts] Speaking of Costas loops

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Thu Jul 4 17:23:08 EDT 2013

On 07/03/2013 02:29 PM, Bob Camp wrote:
> Hi
>
> There are two batches of GPS / WAAS sats up there:
>
> 1) The ones with numbers above 100 that are geosync and that only do WAAS
>
> 2) The ones with numbers<= 32 that do nav. These are not geosync.
>
> I believe the only ones with corrected / high stab clocks on board are those in the second group. The stuff in the first group aren't dedicated sats, just leased transponders on conventional multipurpose geosync birds.

Correct. But the up-link station monitors the signal and makes corrects
as I recall it. In fact, there is a whole array of monitoring stations
to provide for ionospheric corrections.

The orbit is also known and corrected for.

WAAS/EGNOS has 100 baud data, using half-rate convolution code.

Cheers,
Magnus