[time-nuts] Speaking of Costas loops (WAAS)

Joseph Gwinn joegwinn at comcast.net
Sat Jul 6 10:50:06 EDT 2013

> Re: time-nuts Digest, Vol 108, Issue 29
> On Fri, 05 Jul 2013 19:55:42 -0400, time-nuts-request at febo.com wrote:
>

> Message: 6
> Date: Sat, 06 Jul 2013 00:27:33 +0200
> From: Magnus Danielson <magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org>
> To: time-nuts at febo.com
> Subject: Re: [time-nuts] Speaking of Costas loops
>
> On 07/05/2013 10:39 PM, Joseph Gwinn wrote:
>>> Re: time-nuts Digest, Vol 108, Issue 28
>>> Message: 2
>>> Date: Fri, 05 Jul 2013 09:18:39 -0700
>>> From: Jim Lux<jimlux at earthlink.net>
>>> To: time-nuts at febo.com
>>> Subject: Re: [time-nuts] Speaking of Costas loops

>>> I believe that the original WAAS repurposed transponders intended for
>>> other L-band satellite signals (e.g. Sirius/XM/LightSquared).
>>>
>>> As noted earlier in the discussion, the new satellites might have a
>>> specialized payload, which could have a purpose specific coherent
>>> transponder, rather than a linear translator.
>>>
>>> If it is purpose specific and single channel, then making it immune to
>>> the local oscillator is straightforward.
>>
>> I worked on a proposal for the original WAAS system.  The WAAS signal
>> is not a timing signal in the sense that GPS signals from space are
>> timing signals.  WAAS instead sends out a stream of correction data
>> that allows one to greatly improve the accuracy and reliability of GPS
>> signals.
>>
>> So, unless things have changed greatly, the geostationary satellite
>> that broadcasts the WAAS signal need not have an atomic clock.
>
> This is naturally still true, but we are into the level of "there's a
> signal here, what can we use it for?". Doing a much simplified receiver
> could serve some well enough, without going the full monty. It's like
> taking the color-carrier of analog TV broadcasts.

OK.  Given that the birds WAAS uses were built for communications
purposes, not timing purposes, I'g guess that their frequency reference
is a very good quartz unit. I suppose Rubidium is possible, but Cesium
is very unlikely.

Bent-pipe channels do a frequency change to eliminate singing.  I
imagine the datasheet for the rentable comm channels will give the
frequency error and stability of the downlink signal.

Joe Gwinn