[time-nuts] Question about effect of sample interval on ADEV

Robert Darby bobdarby at triad.rr.com
Sun Jul 7 18:32:37 EDT 2013

Thanks to all who responded.  I didn't phrase my question very well I'm
afraid.  The periodic noise/beat note issue is what lead me to try a
different sample interval. Previously I had always let TimeLab set the
sample interval (about .07s for the5370B).

I was surprised by the difference in the adev traces when I varied the
sample interval from .07s to .25s to .5s to 1.0s and that is what I
hoped someone could explain.

When I edit a trace and change the sample interval there is not a
substantial change to the Tau / Sigma (Tau) values yet when I actually
run at the different sample intervals I get minimum values for each run
of  400s 5.60e-13, 600s 1.70e-13, 1000s 9.55e-14, 3000s 4.15e-14.  The
traces are totally different; same oscillators and counter, just
different sample intervals.  That's what I hoping one of you could explain.

John, I'll explore the the beat note issue to see if that's the problem.

Tom, since I get a similar issue when I swap the FTS for an Austron
(more battery chargers) I don't think the FTS is the culprit.

Thanks again.

Bob