[time-nuts] How dangerous if Rb lamp broken?

Volker Esper ailer2 at t-online.de
Tue Jul 9 06:33:11 EDT 2013

Hi,

Toxicity is not the problem. Radioactivity was my biggest concern, when
I ordered my first Rb-clock.The manufacturer told me, there's no
radioactivity, that you have to fear. When the package came I used a
Geiger tube to calm myself down - there was no measurable activity at all.

If the clock doesn't work anymore, be careful when opening it, the bulb
could be broken (though impropable). I don't know how the Rubidium will
react in such a case, but it can react with the air and start to burn
(but remember, it's a very small amount) and you could get some mg of a
strong base, which is corrosive/caustic.

To come to the point: You won't be able to "wreak havoc" with a Rb-lamp...

Volker