[time-nuts] How dangerous if Rb lamp broken?

Lee Mushel herbert3 at centurytel.net
Tue Jul 9 20:52:41 EDT 2013

I do agree with you, generally, on the topic of ionizing radiation and want
to thank you for reminding me to check the batteries in my geiger counter!
I do live with a nuclear power plant upwind from me and thus feel that
maintenance of the instrument is desirable.   And I do remember back in the
"prehysteria" days when, in the middle of a mineralogy lecture, a second
professor broke into the room with long tongs and removed a rock sample that
had been used for identification and was known to be radioactive and quickly
retreated with it.   Until that moment any danger had not been considered.
Not that the lesson did any good because I know that I have a rather large
radioactive sample in our bedroom closet where it has peacefully resided for
some twenty plus years.   I would suggest that anyone who is actively
looking for something to get excited about look into the packaging materials
we use for our foods today!

Sincerest best regards,

Lee A. Mushel,  K9WRU