[time-nuts] Spectrum Analyzer Suggestions

Don Latham djl at montana.com
Mon Jul 15 01:41:05 EDT 2013

I'm using a SignalHound spectrum analyzer on the bench and on the go for
some time. It's got a glitch or two, and for the price an old Hp might
be better, but the size and weight ratio is about 100:1. A Rigol does
cost a little more. But the Signal Hound is much smaller than a
breadbox, uses a PC for control, readout, and power, has receiver, phase
noise, and other functions besides spectrum. There's also a tracking
generator companion. The SH can also be driven by a precision 10 MHz
reference.
I've found that a good laptop, the Signal Hound, its tracking generator,
a USB oscilloscope and a pattern analyzer, can all fit in a small
briefcase. I also have USB controlled attenuator. Robot Basic is free
and controls a lot of stuff, and for low frequencies, the sound card and
Spectran or Spectrum Lab are incredibly cost effective.
BTW, if you decide to use a powered USB expander, check the external
power supply. Most are far too wimpy, and cause bad behavior. A Radio
Shack 7.5 volt RC battery pack and one of the Chinese dc-dc adjustable
converters, about $2, provides power for a 7-port expander.

Things have sure improved since I built my Eico VTVM kit in 1952!
Don

Chris Albertson

>>> http://www.rfspace.com/**RFSPACE/SDR-IQ.html<http://www.rfspace.com/RFSPACE/SDR-IQ.html>
>>> 500 Hertz to 30 MHz coverage.  Useable down to 100 Hz.
>>>
>>> Not as good as the HP 4395A which goes down to 10 Hertz with a true
>>> RBW
>>> of 1 Hz.
>>> http://www.prc68.com/I/4395A.**shtml#SA<http://www.prc68.com/I/4395A.shtml#SA>
>>>
>>> Have Fun,
>>>
>>> Brooke Clarke
>>> http://www.PRC68.com
>>> http://www.**end2partygovernment.com/**2012Issues.html<http://www.end2partygovernment.com/2012Issues.html>

>>> and follow the instructions there.

>> and follow the instructions there.
>

> --
>
> Chris Albertson
> Redondo Beach, California

"Neither the voice of authority nor the weight of reason and argument
are as significant as experiment, for thence comes quiet to the mind."
De Erroribus Medicorum, R. Bacon, 13th century.
"If you don't know what it is, don't poke it."
Ghost in the Shell

Dr. Don Latham AJ7LL
Six Mile Systems LLP
17850 Six Mile Road