[time-nuts] GPSDO - Does it work?

Mark C. Stephens marks at non-stop.com.au
Mon Jul 15 16:06:13 EDT 2013

Slow the Gate time down.

-----Original Message-----
From: time-nuts-bounces at febo.com [mailto:time-nuts-bounces at febo.com] On Behalf Of Paul
Sent: Monday, 15 July 2013 11:27 PM
To: Discussion of precise time and frequency measurement
Subject: Re: [time-nuts] GPSDO - Does it work?

On Mon, Jul 15, 2013 at 3:51 AM,  <time-nuts-request at febo.com> wrote:
> So, I did the obvious, and perhaps naively expected to see a steady 5.0000000 on the 5334B.? Instead, it bounces back and forth between 4.9999999 and 5.0000000.

You'll need a standard to determine the "truth".  My recently "tweaked" 5335A (w/ OCXO) is +- 2 in the LSD when counting my various 10MHz sources.

What I'd do:
1) make/buy another and pick one at not quite random to be right.
2) shorten the gate time (round off the count) until happy.

In my case my two GPSDOs agree to the resolution of the 5335 so I believe them and and assume I need to adjust my Rb.

Of course since I'm just fooling around a few nanoseconds* don't matter so much.

*A nanosecond here a nanosecond there, pretty soon you're talking real time.