[time-nuts] TPLL linearity and other questions

WarrenS warrensjmail-one at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 22 13:57:54 EDT 2013

David asked:

>Where does this non-linearity get corrected?
>What test modulation patterns could I use to verify and calibrate the
>[TPLL] gadget?
>What other tests would you recommend?

Of course you could try and do some form of post data processing (before
filtering), but the KISS answer for a high end TPLL tester is to just limit
its lock range.
I set up my TPLL circuit so that it can Phase lock only over ~ +- 2e-8 freq
range and limit the analyzing range to around +- 1e-9

To calibrate, I use a 10 MHz source that can be offset by small known fixed
freq amounts.
First I zero the TPLL's DC output with exactly 10 MHz applied, then apply an
offset of +- 1e-11,  +-1e-10, +-1e-9 and finally +-2e-9.
A Tbolt and LadyHeather makes a great offset reference generator for this.
It is done by changing the Dac voltage while in holdover, using LH's
filtered phase and freq plots to verify the amount of freq offset.

To further check both DC and dynamic performance of the TPLL,
I use a stable OXCO with known EFC gain at 10MHz and apply a small know
attenuated signal into it's EFC at various waveforms, amplitudes, and
frequencies.
Only need a simple audio function generator and a TBolt to calibrate and
verify that the TPLL is working correctly.

TPLL advanced note:
Have to be careful of anything that will roll off the response of the
controlled or test oscillator's EFC input.
Just the capacitance of the EFC's shielded cable of a dual oven 10811 is
more than enough to screw things up if you are not careful.

ws

From: "Tom Van Baak" David,

From: "David Hooke"
Subject: [time-nuts] TPLL linearity and other questions