[time-nuts] HP 10811 update

paul swed paulswedb at gmail.com
Wed Jul 24 09:00:29 EDT 2013

Hello to the group. Numbers of threads running on the HP 10811. Mine is 45
Hz low. The oven is most likely ok. I did get the can open per the various
other threads and the web pix. Started testing the circuits and have found
that the regulator for the oscillator isn't. Its supposed to produce 5.7V
and is at 5.27V thats pretty significant. The transistor looks like a
shorted collector base junction. Though I do not have it out of circuit
yet. Its Q4 a 2n6429. What interesting about this transistor is its beta at
1 ma is 500 min and max is 1300. Its not a darlington. Thats pretty
amazing. I am looking through my xsistors to find something close. May just
through a 2n3904 in for a quick test. Its beta is nothing like the 6429.
But it would help to prove/disprove the point that the low V may be
offsetting the oscillator I hope.
Will also embed a K thermal couple to verify the oven really is in the
80-84C region.
Regards
Paul.
WB8TSL