[time-nuts] RS 232

David McGaw n1hac at alum.dartmouth.org
Thu Jul 25 10:54:41 EDT 2013

For short cable and non-critical use, CMOS levels (0-5V) work fine.
RS-232 receiver thresholds are actually similar to TTL levels
(0.8-2.7V), though the spec is for +/-3V minimum drive for noise
immunity.  Phantom power can be gotten from the control lines - this is
how serial mice are powered.

David